Saturday, May 30, 2015

"Helping" bites the dust

Well, as so often happens the "real" painting was not looking as good as the study, so I trashed it.  I might revisit again someday when not trying to reacquire my painting confidence.  I swear, I look at work done 15-20 years ago when I didn't know what I was doing, and they are all SO SO SO much better than anything recent.  And at that time I had 3 kids to carpool to activities, a job and was working on my latest degree.  

Not being an idiot, I know better than to think I need to recreate that environment in order to get my mojo back.  I am older, have less energy, and am less inclined to take risks (now THAT's a problem); but I'm also wiser, more experienced, and have honed down my scattered interests somewhat so as to make better progress in a few areas.  Most important is knowing what makes the paintings I dream about.  (Not subject matter, even though it seems my "oeuvre" has been painting people.)

Competent technique, confident application, and something to say.  The challenge is sitting steadily on all 3 legs of that stool at once.

No comments:

Post a Comment