Sunday, December 18, 2016

MAKING THE MISSISSIPPI MOSAICS (for MSP airport): Design

Long time no see.....  and no blogging, either.  Hopefully that's about to change.

My latest endeavor involves 3 mosaic walls for the MSP airport restroom areas at Gate 4-6, concourse C (Delta). Approximately 325 square feet overall, this project has been in the works for about a year but actually started making it not long ago. With help.  Lots of help.

The task was to come up with 3 related images that "spoke" Minnesota.  My personal feeling was ABSOLUTELY no loons or lumberjacks.  Since the state is all about water, and the Mississippi is the biggest coolest waterway ever, here are my sketches of three different views of the river.

The Headwaters...



bustling St. Anthony Falls.....

and stately St. Paul.



Unless you know it's the Mississippi, how do they appear related?  Decided to emphasize the "arc" presented by the curve of river and shoreline. Also decided to flatten shapes and repeat a limited palette of blues, greens and whites.  Something cool I discovered after the fact:  If you line them up side by side, you can travel the river through all three picture planes.

2 comments:

  1. What a delight, Jan! I can't tell you how it warmed my soul to receive a piece of home in my inbox this morning. These are fantastic, and I cannot wait to see them up at MSP when I'm next there. Thank you for sharing your incredible talent with us!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so fun to see -- I remember the buds of thoughts at the onset --- it is wonderful to see what has happened to those ideas --- will have to "fly" to see them. What a wonderful talent you have. So happy for you -- and the travelers :)

    ReplyDelete