Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Pumped to Paint



     I wonder if other people have to trick themselves into doing things they really want to do (but are afraid to do because they usually screw it up).  I am always on the lookout for ways to wind up my painting courage.
     Today I read an article by an oil painter who talked about the classic atelier way to build a painting.  Step 1 was to apply an "imprimatura" to the canvas, to tone and seal the canvas.  Being a sucker for all things Italian, I decided to give this a whirl when I got to the studio today. Applied the imprimatura over a life size painting of oldest son Austin that I had barely begun and set aside over a year ago.  They say the sense of smell can evoke strong memories, and this seemed to be the case.The smell of the turpentine and oil paint immediately reminded me of my very first paint set and the fresh wonder of all things art.
     And just like that, I was pumped to paint.  So I dragged out a bunch of half finished things and set them out for further consideration.  I didn't have time to do more  (the Mosaic class was here -- fun group) but I hope the lingering smell of turpentine will do its thing for me when I get here tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment