Saturday, September 29, 2012

Blocked-in Bride

   30" x 40" Oil

     Still in the mood to paint in oil; maybe it's the fall weather.  This is a first stage monochromatic block in, done right on the toned canvas. One of the benefits of oil is that I can make as many rub-outs and alterations as I want.  Do-over heaven, which is good because the head is too big, and there's some odd stuff happening at her back.  I can continue to refine shapes and sizes of things all through the next stage, the local color block-in, which will happen after this has had a chance to dry a bit.  Might be a demo for the Studio Crawl.  
      Couple of content issues:  what's outside the window, and what's that stuff in the lower left corner?  A car stuck in snow and a bouquet of calla lilies, but I really don't want to be messing with this kind of stuff, so I think all that may disappear in favor of vague and indistinct shapes.  I have to keep reminding myself that this is NOT a portrait, and I need to let go of my photo references.
     I am having fun thinking up titles, though:  Waiting, Stood Up and Sitting Down, All About the Dress, Second Thoughts.  Taking suggestions.....

No comments:

Post a Comment