Saturday, January 9, 2010

Anantomy of a Painting, Part 3.2





Artists often use something called thumbnails (rough sketches as small as a thumb) to make composition and design questions about such things as "How does a viewer's eye travel through?" or "Which arrangement feels more pleasing?" Here are the two versions side-by-side, as small as I could make them for posting. Call the one on the left "Cropped" and the one on the right "Feet." Below are diagrams of how I think the movement of the values works (green= middle/gray value movement, red= darks.)

What I want to know is, do you have a preference for one over the other? I'm having trouble making up my mind. I can always paint as in "Feet" and cut it down later, but the parameters do affect painting decisions enroute. So, please vote for Cropped or Feet and let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment