Monday, September 17, 2012

Flowers in a Mug

14" x 11" watercolor

Whenever I get scattered and unsettled about painting, I choose florals as a subject.   Flowers are my least favorite thing to paint because of all the little busy forms and because I never seem to compose the rectangle in an interesting way.  Painting something to which I have little attachment seems a better idea than painting something important while I am feeling this discombobulated.   I can be crabby and distracted, say to myself "WTH" and not care about results.  The painting muscle gets exercised, regardless, because really it is all the same thing: shape, color, value, edges.

Sooner or later most (figurative) painters will do florals, but IMHO it takes a master to do them well.  So having few expectations about my own floral endeavors can be liberating.  I just hope I get out of this funk soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment