Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Rooster No. 2


Another Rooster 11 x 14" Watercolor

This one is allegedly a Silver Gray Dorking.... and that about ends my interest in painting chickens. Ever find that some subjects are like that? You see it and just burn to paint it, but then the fire goes out. Like something you have to get out of your system in order to move on to what really ices your cake. For instance, I used to really really want to paint a complex flowers-silver-crystal sort of still life, all those tiny pieces and reflections -- part way through, I wanted to shoot myself; it required restraint, patience, planning and endurance, but I am not known for these character traits. Besides, there are plenty of people out there who do this sort of painting very well already; there's nothing much for me to add.

Not that one should always choose the easy route; quite the contrary. My son made the comment that you have to like something really well to be able to really work at it. Good advice. Chickens ain't it.

No comments:

Post a Comment